If creativity were a recipe, these are the ingredients I would need to make my batch. Serves 1.
- Music, the louder the better. I love getting stuck on a song and playing it over and over and over.
- The old saying is true that laughter is the best medicine. I laugh often and loud.
- Friendship, because it does take a village and I have an awesome village of people to hang out with.
- I need a certain amount of conflict. Meaning, conflicting ideas or thoughts that I need to work through. It is like brain food.
- Lack of sleep. I know sleep is good, but I really do enjoy day 3 after having only about 4 or 5 hours of sleep each previous night. Somehow, it energizes me.
- Walking, preferably outside. I have to admit, one of my favorite places to walk is the cemetery. It might sound morbid, but the amount of details and thoughts of all those that lived before and are now gone is creative overload.
- Spending time with people at least 10 years younger and at least 10 years older than me. There is much to be learned from these 2 groups of people if you are willing to listen.
- Photography, because the devil is in the details and the more I shoot, the more I see what I am searching for.
- My favorite Ernest Hemingway quote goes something like, “Write drunk, edit sober.” It may not be for everyone, but I find that a few shots of tequila now and then tend to be helpful…..and I am not driving and writing……
- At heart I am a nature girl. Taking the time to hike, watch the birds, observe the changing seasons, lookin closely at things outside of myself including new places and people, it feeds the soul.
- The magic of life. There are things that happen in life that defy explanation. A simple example, thinking of a long lost friend and then the phone rings and they are on the other end of the conversation. I have given up trying to explain the odd coincidences right when I need them. I embrace it as a sign that I am on the right or WRITE path.